Friday, April 9, 2010

29 Gifts


I recently bought a book called "29 Gifts" by Cami Walker.  It's a story written by an MS sufferer named Cami. When she gets down on life and her disease, she is told by her friend and spiritual advisor to "Give 29 gifts in 29 days."  I'm about halfway through the book, reading about her giving journey and loving it.  I've found myself more cheerful, more happy, and more giving lately.  I'm more aware of the good and positive things around me ~ they are often RIGHT in front of me.

I started doing it without really being aware that I was doing it.  It's not like I said to myself, "I'm going to take this challenge to give 29 gifts in 29 days."  I just started being more generous.  Here are a few of the things I've given: a few moments to chat on Facebook with someone I care about, even though I was at work and probably shouldn't have; a little set of post-it notes and flags with a gardener on them to my boss, who loves gardening; a cleaned out microwave and refrigerator to the girls in my office; a vase of daffodils to a friend who was having a bad morning; a thank you card to someone who returned something that was lost; and I know there's more, I just can't think of them right now!

There are a few important things to remember about the gifts.  First is that they don't have to be material gifts.  It's not about spending money, it's about offering an authentic gift out of love.  Second, and more importantly, if you decide to take the challenge, make sure that you aren't giving out of obligation.  If so, you are in scarcity mode and you'll end up burned out.

I haven't finished it yet, but I'm already recommending it.  I've always envied people who were naturally 'givers,' feeling that I, somehow, couldn't be that way, too.  Well that's just silly!  Everyone can be a Giver!  Now go on, get to it and start Giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment