Thursday, March 26, 2009

And so it begins . . .

Here it is, folks. The first post on my new blog. I must say, it's not something I ever thought I would do, but I learned something the other day. While reading some posts on another 30 something mom's blog, I was relieved, comforted and not so . . . alone. It was at that moment that I realized the value that so many before me have already discovered. In a culture where we are so busy, so transient, so electronic, blogging is a way to stay connected.

About the Title . . .

I heard about this book called Men Are Like Waffles Women Are Like Spaghetti (by Bill and Pam Farrell), and although I now own it, I have not yet read it. BUT, I do understand the concept behind it: Men are able to process their lives (and their emotions) in little boxes, much like the boxes of a waffle. Each box, being separated by this 'wall.' Women, on the other hand, are more like a plate of spaghetti. Each individual strand being one 'item' (or emotion) in their life that is unwillingly intertwined with all the other strands of spaghetti on the plate.

So, the gist of it is this: your kid is struggling in school. The teacher sends home a note and the principle has requested a meeting. Father: Ok. So there's a problem. How do we fix it? Mother: A problem? What? How bad it is? It must be because I'm working too much. Or because he's not challenged enough. Or because he sensed the tension between his father and I for 30 minutes two weeks ago on Monday. Or maybe it's because I didn't breast feed him long enough. Or maybe it's because I wasn't breast fed. You get me? One simple little event intertwines itself all around your entire life and absolutely, positively CONSUMES you until the issue is resolved. This phenomenon, however, does not happen with Father. He meets with the principle, goes back to work, comes home and does homework with the kids, and wants a little lovin' later that night. Waffles. Not Spaghetti. I am like Spaghetti . . . and if you don't believe me now, just keep reading and get to know me a little bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment