Friday, July 31, 2009

Seven Years Ago

On this day exactly 7 years ago I was absolutely furious with a medical professional. It was the doctor who told me that I wasn't in labor and sent me home from the hospital where I had been for the past 4 hours. Well, I said it then and I'll say it again - he was wrong. That night I went home, tired, sad, and frustrated that the baby I'd waited for for 9 months wasn't coming today. The next day, I forced myself into frequent, regular contractions. I walked ALL day long. Yes, I was exhausted from being in labor so long and not sleeping well, but I was also determined to have our baby!

A full 24 hours later, after having contractions for more than a day, we went back to the hospital for a second try. This time, it was certain, the baby would be coming soon. I had originally been scheduled for a c-section on August 6th, so when the nurses determined that my contractions were frequent enough, things moved pretty fast. Call the doctor, sign the papers, get the epidural, and, it's off to surgery we go!

For 9 full months, I had believed I was having a boy. Not because of an ultrasound, but more because my second pregnancy was so similar to my first. So, there was an amusing exchange between me and the anesthesiologist when the baby was born. He said "It's a girl." I said "It's a girl? I thought it was a boy." He said "Oh, it's a boy? No, it's not - it's a girl!" Surprised me - that's for sure!

I couldn't believe how beautiful she was. Unlike her brother, her head was perfectly round, her skin was blemish free and so smooth. Just a little peach fuzz for hair. And everybody loved her. Hayden was so sweet 'petting' her head when he came to visit for the first time.

A girl? Does that mean I'm going to have to play dolls and tea time and dress up? I'm so NOT prissy that way. Well, it's amazing what a sweet little girl will do to a family. We all get a treat every day, enjoying our sweet little Mallory.

Happy Birthday, Baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment